E-mailEmployee Services PortalGEBCorp
Holiday Schedule

We will be closed the following days in 2017:

Monday January 16

President's Day
Monday February 20

Good Friday
Friday April 14

Memorial Day
Monday May 29

Independence Day
Monday July 3
Tuesday July 4

Labor Day
Monday September 4

Thursday November 23
Friday November 24

Monday December 25

Building Inspections

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 261
Lexington, GA 30648

Physical Address
105 Union Point Street
Lexington, GA 30648

(706) 743-5270


     The Oglethorpe County Building Official is responsible for ensuring the public safety through the enforcement of construction standards. The Building Official reviews building plans, issues building permits, and performs inspections to ensure compliance with codes related to aspects of life-safety, structural integrity, handicap accessibility, and electrical, plumbing, fuel gas, heating and air conditioning systems. Oglethorpe County enforces the International Building Codes as prescribed by the International Code Council, mandated by and amended by the State of Georgia.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why are there building codes?

Each one of us relies on the safety of structures that surround us in our everyday living. Building codes provide safeguards and even though no code can eliminate all risks, reducing them to an acceptable level provides for a better living environment.

2. What codes are currently being enforced in Oglethorpe County?

Oglethorpe County enforces the mandatory codes adopted into law by the State of Georgia.

3. When do I need an inspection?

It is always best to consult with the building official on your construction project prior to starting.  An inspection is required at various stages of the construction process. The first inspection would probably be a footing inspection. If a slab is involved, any plumbing and/or electric installed under that slab would also need inspecting before concrete is poured. The next inspection might be the rough-in inspection, which includes the framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and gas systems before any drywall is installed. Sometime between this inspection and the final, a Temp to Perm inspection is required to get permanent power on the structure. Lastly comes the final inspection where framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, driveway and culvert pipe, house number, landscaping and soil erosion measures are to be completed. A Certificate of Occupancy is issued when the structure meets all of the applicable standards.

4. What do I do when I’m ready for an inspection?

Call the Oglethorpe County Building Official at (706) 424-0297.  Please have your permit number ready when you call.

5. Who should I call if I have questions regarding licenses, tests, and investigation of contractors’ workmanship? 

Call the Construction Industry Licensing Board at (478) 207-1416.

6. Who should I call if I have complaint or dispute with my builder? 

Call the Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs at (404) 651-8600 or 1-800-869-1123.

7. Who do I contact to ask questions about the construction and safety of manufactured homes or mobile homes?

Contact the Office of the Georgia Safety Fire Commissioner, Manufactured Housing Division at: (404) 656-9498.